The first 100 years of European settlement: 1840s to 1940s
Neds Corner was first settled by Europeans for agriculture in 1849. A leasehold was taken up by Edward Bagot who ran cattle, brumbies and sheep for 25 years.
The property was named after a shepherd called Ned who worked for Bagot. It’s believed Ned used a loop in the river to keep sheep safe, which then became known as ‘Neds Corner’.
In the 1870s, Bagot sold the property and by 1911 the station was possibly six times its current size. After World War l, some of the leaseholds were broken up for soldier settlements and a group of 18 men was granted freehold to parts of the Neds Corner lease in 1938, forming the Neds Corner Pastoral Company Pty Ltd.
From the Kidman era to the conservation era
Drought ravaged south-eastern Australia in the 1940s and by 1948, the property was sold to the Kidman Pastoral Company, becoming part of its agricultural empire which encompassed three per cent of Australia.
During the Kidman era some leases to the west of the current station that extended to the South Australian border were not renewed by the government and were instead added to the Murray Sunset National Park in 1991. Kidman Pastoral Group sold Neds Corner shortly afterwards. Trust for Nature bought it in 2002.