The Goulburn Broken region consists of two river basins, the Goulburn and the Broken, both of which drain northwards from the Great Dividing Range into the Murray River
The region is 2.4 million hectares in size, comprising about 10.5 percent of Victoria, and contributes 11 percent of the water entering the Murray-Darling system.
The region consists of mostly vegetated, public land in the upper sections, a mosaic of cleared and vegetated land in the mid-Goulburn Broken and a highly cleared and modified landscape in the lower section. This lower section contains part of the Shepparton Irrigation Region.
Overall, 71 per cent of the catchment is private land and 70 per cent of the region has been cleared of its native vegetation
Of the remaining native vegetation in the region, 82 per cent occurs on public land, leaving only 18 per cent on private land.
The Goulburn Broken region represents more than a quarter of all bioregions in Victoria. As a result the region contains a high diversity of vegetation communities and fauna species.
Due to extensive clearing of much of the region, many of these Ecological Vegetation Communities and species are threatened. Of the 166 EVCs in the region, as many as 70 per cent are under threat. These include the Grassy Woodland Community and Buloke Woodland Community.
Threatened fauna include the Grey-crowned Babbler, the Brush-tailed Phascogale and the Barking Owl, while threatened flora include the Crimson Spider-orchid, Yellow-tongue Daisy and Lima Stringybark.
Goulburn Broken Regional Manager
Ph: +61 (03) 5761 1525 or 0407 521 154
PO Box 124
Benalla, VIC 3672
Stewardship Officer, Goulburn Broken
Ph: 0419 221 189